We have been sploring enjoying trails, etc. Coming up on that time of year where it will be more and more. Along the way decided to have a mild lift. Nothing major, wanted good vs. tall. Decided to go with Rock Krawler. Last time we took the trailer out there was sag. Not real bad but enough that I did not care for it. Part of that is the weight on the rear. So was thinking Air Bags, might still do that. Put the trailer on a tongue diet, reworked it and have reduced some weight from it. More on that later once it is all finished.
Rock Krawler has a nice mild 2.5″ lift with Mid arms. (See video below) Part of the reason we went with Rock Krawler was a progressive spring vs. the other brands. Part was geometry correction with mid arms vs brackets with stock arms. Part of the reason was lots of folks rave on the kit and the Jeep / Fab guy Don @ RPF Fab in Tempe suggested it. I was originally leaning towards the Mopar kit with Fox Shocks and brackets.
The folks at Rock Krawler were kind enough to potentially resolve one issue with the rear weight. Swapped out a 3.5” rear springs on the 2.5” kit. Had to postpone the lift a few weeks waiting on the replacement springs, but no big deal. Without the trailer, there is a slight rake to the Jeep. Not bad; ½” at the rear. Again, the 3.5” is progressive so we will see next time we take the trailer out. With luck we will do just that in late April.
On the shocks we used the Bilstien 5100 which seems to be a pretty popular option. Decided to go remote reservoir on the rear as had some rear shock fade with stock units. Should help with the fade. One grump is the mounts for the reservoir. They make a billet option. Sure would be nice if a manufacturer just set you up right from the get go no? More money.
While it was getting love, figured replacing the stock tie rod would be good. IDK; seems like it would take quite the wallop to bend one, but we may just have quite the wallop in our future. This is solid 7075 1.5″ aluminum. For a hoot, had it powder coated in Yellow. Of course that requires replacement of the steering stabilizer. Yes, Bilstien again. Drag link seems pretty well protected.
So now it sits on 33’s with a 2.5 lift. Not real inclined to run 35’s. Think this should suit our style and needs just fine. Waiting on some bits from powder coat that were custom made. Front brush guard under bumper and some bumper “winglets” to fill a narrow gap between the bumper and the fender flares.
Will be a bit before we have the chance to go play in the dirt. On the drive home it seemed just fine. Possibly better than stock. Well, he thought so anyways.
Bring on the summer with our new Rock Krawler Lift!
How it sits now:
Stabilizer and new tie rod:
Disconnects and, well, other end of tie rod:
Snazzy remote shocks with crappy hose clamps. Add the mounts to the list (insert frowny face here.)
Mid Arms and non remote fronts:
And, again, how it sits:
Seriously, it needs a bath. Arrrgh.
Kind of a fun video on the install of the Rock Krawler product I found online while doing research.